COVID-19 student and staff update See more
Being successful in gaining a qualification can sometimes need more than just study, study, study and NMIT has support teams to help you navigate any barriers to your achievement.
NMIT's Learner Services Team(external link) the skills to make sure you receive the help you need to be successful in your studies—no matter if you are 16 or 60+.
You are welcome to visit at the one-stop service helpdesk in the Library Learning Centre in Nelson and Marlborough with any questions, or you can request support online(external link).
Sometimes it can take a bit of time to arrange the right services to meet your needs, so it is best to tell NMIT when you apply, or as early as possible, your specific needs so support can be in place when you start your studies.
• The Equity Team can provide tailored 1:1 support, assistive technologies and reader/writers to students with disabilities, impairments, or neuro differences such as dyslexia.
• Te Puna Manaaki(external link), offer academic support to Māori, and also acknowledge the physical, spiritual and whānau support that is central to the learner journey.
• The Nelson Tasman Pasifika Community Trust(external link) works alongside NMIT to ensure that all Pasifika students are well supported and have the best experience as learners.
• NMIT tutors work closely with support services to assist students on a case-by-case basis where you are empowered with your own learning plan.
• The Study Support Team offer library, writing and study skills tutorials, group learning opportunities, drop-in and 1-1 learning support sessions.
• The Wellbeing Team provide mental health, pastoral and counselling support.
• Free counselling to all students is available through OCP Professional Counselling Service(external link) and the Wellbeing Team’s Student Counsellors.
• A 24/7 urgent assistance number, 0800 718 277 is available for support for urgent health, safety or wellbeing issues for NMIT students.
• For independent support and advocacy, there is SANITI(external link) the Student Association .
• NMIT is also an approved signatory of the The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 which sets and monitors expectations and guidelines to ensure that all students are well informed, listened to, and are safe and properly cared for.
Learn more(external link) about how the Learner Services Team can help you to be successful in your studies.